Also, why is this meal purple? Well, I used purple potatoes! They taste the same as regular and are higher in vitamins and minerals than white potatoes.
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
Serves: 6-8 Prep Time: 30 minutes Total cook and prep time: 1 hour
3 large carrots, diced
1/2 lb frozen peas
1 diced white onion
1 package Harmony Valley meat substitute
1 lb purple potatoes
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup 2% milk
2 tablespoons goat cheese
1. Follow directions on Harmony Valley bag for soaking mixture for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop all your veggies and microwave potatoes until cooked through.
3. When vegetarian meat mixture is ready, saute just as you would ground beef with a little oil and the carrots, peas, and onions.
4. When thoroughly cooked through, add the Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook for 3 more minutes.
5. Meanwhile, beat purple potatoes with 1 cup milk and goat cheese.
6. Preheat oven to 350.
7. Put meat and vegetable mixture on the bottom of a glass baking dish and top with the purple mashed potatoes.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes until meal is nice and hot.
This meal takes a spin on the classic shepherd's pie and is much healthier and lower fat and calories. It tasted amazing and I didn't even tell my husband that the meat was vegetarian until the next day. He had no idea! I would definitely use the Harmony Valley vegetarian meat again. I was surprised at how easy it was and how similar it was to regular ground beef.