This recipe could also be served for any holiday party. I love the variety of colors in the soup. For this recipe, I used Minute® Rice. I chose their brown rice since I prefer whole grains to refined ones. This rice cooked super fast in the microwave and was the perfect texture that I needed for my soup. I like that this soup can be made ahead of time and served later which is great if you are short on time. This rice has the same nutritional value as whole grain brown rice but takes 1/4 of the amount of time to cook.
Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
2 tsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts (about 6 oz each)
6 servings of Minute® Rice brown rice
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup wax beans, chopped
1 large bunch red Swiss chard, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
1 large lemon, juiced
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and cook chicken until thoroughly cooked.
2. Meanwhile, cook rice according to directions (cut off about 3 minutes from what directions say until rice is almost soft).
3. In a large soup pot, add zucchini, carrots, swiss chard, wax beans and green pepper. Add about 2 cups of water and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened.
4. Dice chicken breast into bite sized pieces.
5. Add chicken broth to pot of vegetables along with garbanzo beans, rice, chicken, lemon juice and spices.
6. Cook for about 10 minutes longer until flavored are blended.