For this German chocolate mini trifle recipe, I thought about how the ingredients could be put together to make something delicious for the holidays but not too indulgent. I used a fat-free, sugar-free pudding mix, skim milk and Greek yogurt to make it better-for-you. Don't worry, there is still plenty of sweetness in this recipe but it is not too over-the-top indulgent either.
I am 25% German and grew up having German chocolate cake on occasion, I love the coconut, the nuts and the gooeyness but never liked the cake. That is why I swapped out the cake for this chocolate pudding. This dessert is so yummy, you won't even know that it is better-for-you.
Mini German Chocolate TriflesServings: 6
1 package Jell-O chocolate pudding mix
3 cups milk
2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
3/4 cup Baker's angel flake coconut
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup Kraft caramel bits
1. Prepare pudding according to directions.
2. In a pan, toast coconut until browned- about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and mix 1/2 of coconut in with Greek yogurt.
3. Add pecans to pan and toast for 2-3 minutes.
4. Melt caramel bits the the microwave until runny- can add a bit of milk if it is too thick.
5. In a glass, layer chocolate pudding, coconut yogurt and pecans until the glass is full.
6. Top with the additional toasted coconut, toasted pecans and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
These can be made ahead of time for a party to make serving easy. If you prefer, you could make it all in a large trifle serving dish to make it all together. Just double or triple the recipe to make more. I made these ahead of time and ate one a few hours later and it was perfect.
For this recipe, I got my ingredients at Walmart in their Holiday Bake Center including products from Kraft such as the Baker's angel flake coconut, JELL-O chocolate instant pudding and Kraft caramel bits. These items helped this recipe come together quickly and easily.