Euphrates the makers of feta cheese recently sent some cheese to sample, a lot of cheese (10 lbs!!). I got to thinking what I could make with the feta and came up with several fun recipes which I will post in the next few days or so. Feta is a very healthy cheese. It has 60 calories per 1 oz serving, is high in protein and calcium, and is pretty low in fat.
First up, grilled stuffed zucchini.
-1/2 of an XL zucchini or one large one
-1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
-1 tablespoon light Italian dressing
-1 teaspoon raw chopped onion
-Black pepper to taste
1. Cut zucchini in half and scoop out seeds.
2. Marinate in Italian dressing for at least 15 minutes.
3. Grill on both sides until soft and slightly charred.
4. Fill zucchini with feta cheese, a few pieces of raw onion, and a sprinkle of black pepper.
5. Let cheese melt for 2-3 minutes and remove from grill.
My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised how great these turned out. The feta flavor was more muted than unmelted feta and with the onion, tasted great. We will be making these again!