For years, my mom has made squash stuffed with a mixture of meat and rice topped with tomato sauce. The main spice in hers is allspice which I didn't have when making this recipe. I improvised and came up with an amazing recipe.
-3 large squashes (I used yellow crookneck squash but summer squash would work fine)
-2 cups of cooked rice (I used Tasty Bite Thai Lime Rice because that's what I had on hand)
-2 cups Lightlife Smart Ground Original (a veggie protein crumble, or you can use ground beef)
-1 can diced tomatoes
-1 small can no added salt tomato paste
-2 teaspoons cumin
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like spicy foods)
-1 can tomato sauce
1. Cut squashes in half and scoop out seeds. Microwave face down on high for 10-12 minutes to soften squash.
2. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients except for tomato sauce together and stir.
3. Once squash is soft, fill with the "meat" and rice mixture and placed each filled squash in a baking pan.
4. Cover squash in the tomato sauce.
5. Bake on 350 for about 25-30 minutes depending on how soft the squash is. Enjoy!