I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for DSM. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
With the holiday season being so busy, it is easy to forget about our own health. Heart health is extremely important as some of the top causes of death are related to heart issues. Studies show that the instances of heart attacks increases over the holiday season making heart health at this time even more important.
Did you know that more than 80 million Americans have heart disease? Many of my patients have heart disease and other heart related issues making this especially important to me personally. So what can we do to promote heart health? Glad you asked!
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids- My favorites include flax seeds, chia seeds, fish and I often take supplements with omega-3 in them.
- Exercise- Fitness plays a very important role in heart health. Aim to get at least 30 minutes of exercise about 5 times per week. My favorite is walking, a bit of running and lifting hand weights.
- Take your vitamins- In the winter especially (and basically for the last year since I was pregnant and am now breastfeedng), I take a multi-vitamin. I usually take one that already has omega-3 in it but if it does not, then I take a fish oil supplement along with the multi-vitamin. Since our diets are not always perfect, I think it can be a good idea for many people to take a supplement.
- Eat a nutrient rich diet- Focus on whole grains, lean proteins and lots of fruits and vegetables. Vitamins D and E especially help to promote heart health.
- Limit the sweets- Foods like cake, cookies and candy this time of year are not the healthiest choices. Have your favorite treats a couple of times this holiday season and enjoy healthier foods the rest of the time.
In this video from Mrs. Claus, you can learn why heart health is so important and what you can do to improve your own health. I love that they are focusing on heart health for the holidays because although February is heart health month, it is important to focus on this year round.