For some reason, it can be really difficult to exercise in the winter. With cold temperatures, it is easier to cuddle up in your pajamas with a snack and warm beverage and skip exercise. I know this because this can often be the case for me.
I feel my best when I exercise so I am trying to do some exercise daily. I believe that exercise is extremely important for mental healthy. When I skip exercising, I feel stir crazy during the cold months.
Here are some of my tips for exercising during the winter months:
1. Bundle up and get outside- At least once a week, I try to exercise outside. Something about the fresh (and even cold) air makes me feel really good. I look at the weather each week and pick at least 1 day to exercise outside. I try to find a day that is going to be in the upper 20s or the 30s. I strap Adalyn in the carrier or if the sidewalks are very clear, push her in the stroller. Don't forget a bunch of layers of clothing or else you may be very cold.
Treadmill walking with Adalyn
2. Take a walk on the treadmill- Yes, I do think of the treadmill as a "dreadmill" but I try to use it anyways. If you do not own a treadmill, you can go to a gym to use a treadmill. I bought mine on Craigslist for $175 which is a great deal and I use it almost daily in the winter months. It can be very boring walking or running on the treadmill so watch a good movie/TV show, read a magazine or talk to a friend while exercising on the treadmill.
3. Do it for mental health- I don't know if you get like this but if you ask my husband, he will tell you that I get a little crazy in the winter months if I don't exercise. I hate being inside all the time and think it is very important to get out and get some exercise. When I am having trouble motivating myself, I remind myself that I will feel so much better if I do.
4. Do something quick- Even if you don't want to exercise for an extended period of time, do a quick workout to get your body moving. These are some of my favorite quick exercise moves:
-Lunges (hate these but I do them sometimes anyways)
-Lifting weights (bicep curls, rows, tricep extensions, etc.)
5. Do it with a friend- I love to exercise with people the most. I find myself so much more motivated when exercising with a friend. I am lucky that my mom and sister live close as I often exercise with them. I also have a few mom friends that like to walk as well.
Along with exercise, good nutrition is extremely important for feeling your best. Even though produce is not at its peak season, it is still very important to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to get some produce in at each meal. Have dairy such as Greek yogurt, milk and cheese. Have whole-grains and proteins. Also, drink lots of water. Dehydration can make you feel tired, sick, etc.
BODYARMOR sent me some of their sports drinks to review. After a hard workout, Troy loves having a sports drink. I actually brought one of these BODYARMOR drinks with me to the hospital when I had Adalyn to drink during labor if I needed hydration and electrolytes. These come in tasty flavors such as grape, strawberry banana, fruit punch and more. I like adding some water to mine since they are pretty sweet. You can find this product at Target and Meijer. Print out a coupon to save money on this beverage.
What are your tips for exercising in the winter months?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by BODYARMOR. All opinions are my own.