Kale Salad with Spicy Pecans, Apples and Butternut Squash is the perfect fall salad that is topped with an apple cider vinaigrette!
2. Polish food- Every year, we have Polish food on Christmas Eve: pierogi, kielbasa, kapusta, fruit compote and more. My mom does a great job making everything!
3. Pajamas after church- My dad buys us new pajamas every year and right when we get back from church, we put these on. My daughter now gets to be part of this fun tradition.
4. Having the house decorated- Note, I did not say decorating the house. Haha. I love the way that my house looks with all of our Christmas decor. The nativity, the tree from my parent's farm, the ornaments that have significant meanings to us and more.
5. Baking cookies together- Every year, we make a few kinds of cookies a couple of weeks before Christmas. My Busia helps with this and it is great to have all of us together. We always do thumbprints and Russian teaballs.
6. Spending time together- By far, my favorite part of the whole Christmas season is spending time with family. Nothing in the world means more to me or makes me happier. Getting to see all of my husband's family, my family and friends is the best.
7. Wrapping presents with my siblings- My siblings, husband and I have a tradition of getting together at my parent's house and wrapping presents. It is a fun time together!
8. Delicious holiday recipes- You can't talk about the holidays without talking about food! I love the Polish food we have on Christmas Eve. My mom makes a delicious breakfast every Christmas morning. This year, we are hosting Christmas day which is a potluck for about 40 people. We often do Mexican food with other foods.
I like contributing something healthier for the meal and try to make it a vegetable to make sure that we have some kind of yummy vegetable dish. I decided to make this autumn salad with spicy pecans, apples and butternut squash with a cider dressing for the holidays. It turned out great and I will be making it through the holiday season.
Autumn Salad with Spicy Pecans, Apples and Butternut Squash w/Apple Cider Vinaigrette
1/4 cup pecans
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
6 cups of kale, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1 cup of roasted butternut squash, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons apple cider
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a pan, add pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and cayenne and cook on medium-low for a few minutes until toasted. Stir every minute to ensure they do not burn.
2. Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
3. Mix together the salad ingredients and top with spicy pecans and cider dressing.
9. Showing my daughter the reason for the season- So, we have not actually done this yet as my daughter was 3 months old at Christmas last year but I cannot wait to teach Adalyn all about Christmas and Jesus being born! I know that this will be one of my favorite traditions.