My parents taught me to make the sauce with lots of vegetables for added nutrients and flavor. I cannot imagine lasagna without these ingredients! Extra vitamins, minerals and fiber from the veggies make this a complete dinner.
Slow Cooker Veggie Loaded LasagnaIngredients:
For the sauce
1 pound extra lean ground meat of choice
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup kale, chopped
1 green pepper, finely diced
1 sweet potato, finely diced
1 1/2 jars Prego traditional Italian sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
10 lasagna noodles
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
For cheese mixture
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat, begin cooking meat until cooked through. Add about 1/4 cup of water to pot and all vegetables and cook until vegetables are soft.
2. Add in pasta sauce, garlic and black pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese and garlic powder
4. Spray the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce on the bottom.
5. Break noodles so that they fit in the crockpot and cover the bottom. *They do not have to be in straight lines. Cover with cheese mixture, then sauce, shredded cheese and then more noodles. Repeat layers two more times. The last later should be noodles with sauce on top. Top with shredded cheese.
6. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours or on low for 5 hours. Turn the slow cooker off and let sit for 1 hour which helps for the moisture to get absorbed.
I cooked mine for 3 hours and the noodles got softer than I would have liked so I recommend turning off the heat at about 2 1/2 hours. Letting it sit made it so that I could cut it like regular lasagna. I served this to my in-laws and they loved it. My husband raved about it for 2 days so I know I need to make it again.