I am a big fan of protein bars. I eat one most days at around 10 AM at work. This is the time between breakfast and lunch when I get really hungry and need something filling to get me to my next meal. For this recipe, I used a couple of products that I was recently sent to review including Just Almonds almond flour and OrganiGrowth whey protein powder.
The recipe that I based mine off of comes from a fellow RD from The Lean Green Bean blog. She makes amazing recipes and I highly recommend her site.
Homemade Protein Bars
½ cup Just Almonds almond flour
½ cup coconut flour
1 cup OrganiGrowth vanilla protein powder
1 cup Cheerios (can use any cereal)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
½ cup nut butter (I used almond butter once and PB another time- both great)
½ cup milk (I used almond)
2 tablespoons agave
2 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, combine both flours, protein powder, Cheerios and chia seeds.
- In another bowl, mix together peanut butter, agave and milk.
- Microwave for about 1 minute until soft.
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients (add the water if needed so that all ingredients are moistened).
- Press mixture into a 8 x 8 pan.
- Freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into bars- I chose to cut mine into 12 bars. Store in a container in the fridge or freezer.
This recipe turned out so amazing! The bars were chewy, filling and tasty. My husband really liked them as well. I loved knowing what was going into my protein bars and knowing that there were no funky additives.
I liked the addition of the almond flour and the OrganiGrowth protein powder. Both were tasty and helped create a delicious snack.
I have since remade this recipe with chocolate nut butter and chocolate protein powder which were both excellent. I highly recommend trying this recipe if you like protein bars.