I love to grill in the summer. The flavor of the food is so much better, plus, you do not have to heat up your house by using the stove or oven. I love to get creative when it comes to grilled meals outside of the typical hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken, etc. We are huge fans of chicken Parmesan and eggplant Parmesan and decided to take a summery spin on the traditional recipe.
This recipe is great for vegetarians and those who eat meat as well. It is filling and tasty and you really don't miss the meat. If you did want meat, you could add Italian sausage or ground beef to the recipe.
Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Boats
1 large eggplant
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 diced bell pepper
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp dried basil (or fresh)
1 cup Bertolli® Tomato and Basil Sauce
1/2 cup hand-grated high quality Parmesan cheese
2. Brush eggplant halves with olive oil.
3. In a large piece of aluminum foil, combine mushrooms, onion, basil, garlic bell pepper and sauce and mix well.
4. Close edges of aluminum foil and create a "packet".
7. Once vegetable sauce is cooked, flip over eggplant and fill with chunky vegetable sauce mixture.
8. Cover in a blanket of Parmesan cheese and let melt for a couple of minutes.
Enjoy! This pairs well with garlic bread.
We love simple Italian meals. The Italians seem to live life simply and fully with family, friends, fun and lots of delicious food. In the summer, there is nothing like sitting outside eating a delicious meal with the ones you love.