This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Ever since I have lived on my own, Mexican food has also been a huge part of my cooking. I have pretty much made every typical Mexican dish out there at some point. Some things like tacos, taco salad or enchiladas, are dishes that we make all the time. Mexican food always tastes amazing and can be thrown together pretty quickly which is something that I love about it.
This recipe includes fresh zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, bell peppers and garden fresh tomatoes. The tomatoes are grown in our own backyard. The zucchini was grown just a couple of blocks over at my parent's house.
Spicy Garden Mac and Cheese
1 12-16 oz box of whole wheat noodles
1/2 small head of cauliflower, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1/4 cup diced La Morena whole jalapenos and carrots
For the cheese sauce
1/4 cup butter of choice
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3 cups skim milk
1/2 small head of cauliflower, diced
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Boil a pot of water and cook noodles according to instructions.
2. Meanwhile, take all of the vegetables for meal (except cauliflower for sauce) and grill on a grill mat or on aluminum foil until soft.
3. In the microwave, steam cauliflower for the cheese sauce until very soft. Blend with 1 cup of milk until smooth.
4. On medium heat, melt butter until liquid. Add flour and cook for about 2 minutes while stirring continuously. Add the cauliflower sauce mixture and the rest of the milk and continue to cook on medium-low heat until thickened.
5. Remove from heat and add cheese and stir until melted.
6. Pour cheese sauce over noodles. Add grilled vegetables and stir until everything is well combined.
7. Transfer to a baking dish and top with additional cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
8. Broil for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Of the macaroni and cheese dishes that I have made, this one was my favorite. It was very rich but made lighter by the cauliflower sauce.