These Cranberry Scones with Coconut Vanilla Drizzle are made healthier with whole-wheat flour, yogurt, fresh cranberries and a healthier yogurt based drizzle!
I used whole-wheat flour for this recipe for added fiber and nutrients. The cranberries are frozen but if you cannot find those, feel free to use dried cranberries instead (or fresh/frozen blueberries). Protein powder is often sweet so it makes a great drizzle topping for the scones along with some yogurt.
Cranberry Scones with Coconut Vanilla DrizzleServings: 12 scones
2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounce container of vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg (or 1 flax egg)
1 cup frozen cranberries
Vanilla Protein Drizzle
2 tablespoons Purely Inspired vanilla protein powder
1 5 oz container coconut yogurt (go for full-fat for a richer consistency)
About 1-2 tablespoons milk to thin out
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Add in the yogurt, vanilla, butter, cranberries and whisked egg and stir all ingredients together. Note: mixture will be crumbly.
4. Put dough on a floured surface and knead with your hands until dough comes together. Form into 2 6-8 inch circles and place on a baking sheet that is sprayed with nonstick spray.
5. Cut each circle into 6 wedges and lightly separate.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until scones are lightly brown.
7. Mix together all ingredients for protein drizzle. Once scones are out of the oven. Drizzle mixture over scones.
For this recipe, I used Purely Inspired 100% plant based protein nutritional shake which worked well in this recipe to give a boost of protein and nutrients. The protein mix is dairy, gluten and soy free. One serving has 16 grams protein and 7 grams of fiber. It contains a concentrated greens blend with broccoli and spinach. It is a blend of proteins including pea protein, brown rice protein and alfalfa juice protein concentrate.
Buy it here.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored recipe by Purely Inspired. All opinions, recipe and text are my own.