Protein, protein, protein! Everyone is obsessed with protein. While protein is am important nutrient, most Americans do not need to be as crazed as they are about getting more protein in their diets. By eating a standard, nutritious diet, you are likely to get enough protein for your body's needs. Consult a registered dietitian for help in figuring out how much protein you need (based on your age, sex, activity level, etc).
|Greek Meatball and Zoodle Bowls|
Here are 10 ways to add more protein into your diet:
|Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal|
1. Bulk up your oatmealI love adding chia seeds, ground flax seeds, hemp seeds and a bit of protein powder to my morning oatmeal to make my oatmeal more nutritious and filling. Then, I top it all off with peanut butter for healthy fats and more protein.
|Fruit and Yogurt Cereal Cups made with Greek yogurt.|
2. Choose Greek yogurtGreek yogurt has more protein than traditional yogurt. Depending on the variety, one serving of Greek yogurt typically has 11-14 grams of protein.
3. Add eggs to your dietEggs are a great source of protein and can be eaten anytime during the day: breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. Each egg has about 7 grams of protein. You can eat them fried in the morning, hard boiled for a snack and have breakfast for dinner in the evening with veggie loaded scrambled eggs.
|Roasted Red Pepper Hummus|
4. Dip your veggies in hummusVegetables are a great snack and instead of veggie dip, have hummus for a protein and fiber rich snack.
|Green Mojito Smoothie|
5. Blend up a smoothieSmoothies are a great time to get a boost of protein in your diet. Along with fruits and vegetables, you can add milk, yogurt, protein powder and more.
|This Spinach Artichoke Chicken uses Greek yogurt as a healthier swap.|
6. Use yogurt as a swapFor almost any recipe that calls for sour cream, you can use Greek yogurt instead. It will taste the same and it will give you a boost of protein.
|Greek Chopped Salad with Roasted Chickpeas|
7. Add beansBeans are a great source of fiber and protein and help make any meal more filling. I love them in a salad especially or having roasted chickpeas for a snack.
8. Drink a protein shakeNowadays, it is easy to find a tasty protein shake that is pre-made and ready to drink on-the-go. My husband especially likes the Premier Protein organic shakes which have 25 grams of protein each. The protein comes from whey and milk proteins- they do not contain soy. Each one is 150 calories and only has 5 grams of sugar. They have no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors.
Premier Protein Organic Shakes.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.