For the weekend or to make ahead for during the week, I love a hearty breakfast casserole. This one is loaded with flavor! The sautéed onions, apples and kale are so delicious that they could be their own side dish. Packing a breakfast dish full of eggs, whole-grain toast and milk provides protein to keep you full through the morning.
After this strata came out of the oven, I realized that it was a lot like a homemade stuffing, just for breakfast with the addition of the eggs. You can feel free to use whatever kind of sausage you want for this strata. I used precooked turkey sausage and chopped it up into pieces.
The key to the sweet with the savory flavors is the addition of a huge Michigan apple right from my Dad's farm. I chose a yellow delicious for this recipe for the sweet flavor and because they get nice and soft which is perfect for this dish. Michigan apples are available at stores most of the year which is so awesome to be able to support my own state. You can eat this breakfast casserole as is or top with either something savory like ketchup or sweet such as a drizzle of maple syrup.
Sausage Apple Breakfast Strata
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 large Michigan apple, diced
- 3 cups kale, chopped finely
- 1 cup cooked sausage, diced
- 6 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat a frying pan with olive oil. Add in red onion and apple and cook for about 5 minutes. Add in kale and cook for about 2 more minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Whisk together the eggs, black pepper and milk. Mix together egg mixture, bread, sausage and sautéed apples/onion/kale. Pour mixture into baking dish.
4. Top with shredded cheddar and bake for about 45 minutes until eggs are cooked through and cheese is melted.