I make a cauliflower puree that makes the recipe a lot lighter than typical mac and cheese but it is still so creamy. By making it healthier, it is a meal that I can feel good about feeding my daughter.
This recipe is perfect for the chilly fall and winter months when you are craving comfort food. It is filling and satisfying without weighing you down.
Broccoli Bacon Mac and Cheese
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Servings: About 4
Approximate prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 12 oz box of whole wheat noodles
2 cups broccoli, chopped
8 slices turkey bacon, chopped and cooked
For the cheese sauce
1/4 cup butter of choice
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3 cups skim milk
2 1/2 cups cauliflower, diced
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Boil a pot of water and cook noodles according to instructions.
2. Steam broccoli until fairly soft, set aside.
3. Steam cauliflower for the cheese sauce until very soft. Blend cauliflower with 1 cup of milk until smooth.
4. Cook bacon in microwave or on stove until crispy.
5. On medium heat, melt butter until liquid. Add flour and cook for about 2 minutes while stirring continuously. Add the cauliflower sauce mixture and the rest of the milk and continue to cook on medium-low heat until thickened.
6. Remove from heat and add cheese and stir until melted.
7. Pour cheese sauce over noodles. Add broccoli and stir until everything is well combined.
8. Transfer to a baking dish and top with additional cheddar cheese and cooked bacon.
9. Broil for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
This recipe went over well in our household! My daughter gobbled it up- including the broccoli! My husband who does not love mac and cheese thought it was great. I love all kinds of mac and cheese and this was one of my favorites. The trick with the cauliflower sauce makes it awesome! We will add it to our "must make" list.