When I go out to dinner at a restaurant and see a salad loaded with fruit on a menu, it is hard for me to not order it. My favorite salad is from a restaurant that I used to work at as a hostess back before I was a dietitian. It is loaded with fruit, nuts and chicken. I love it! Today, I wanted to create a healthy and filling salad that is perfect for summer.
I chose to load mine with grilled chicken, strawberries, blueberries, asparagus, onions and mangos. I've been eating strawberries on salads for years but just this year, started making my salads with mango on them. I love mangos because they are sweet and tart at the same time. I like mine slightly underripe because they are more tart that way.
In addition to mangos tasting delicious, they are also rich in nutrients. Mangos are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and folate. They also contain vitamin B6, vitamin K and potassium. I love mango in my smoothies, eaten plain, frozen in chunks and of course, on a salad.
Mangos are also great for athletes eaten before a workout for carbohydrates or after a workout paired with a protein such as the chicken in this recipe for recovery. Something interesting is that mangos come in a variety of colors and when choosing a mango to eat, you should not focus on color. Instead, when you pickup a mango, a ripe one with be soft to the touch.
Grilled Chicken Salad with Creamy Mango Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 4 ounce chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 16 stalks of asparagus, ends trimmed off
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 large mango, cut into strips
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 mango
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
1. Sprinkle chicken with garlic and black pepper. Drizzle chicken, onion and asparagus in olive oil. Grilled chicken and vegetables until chicken is cooked through, flipping halfway through and vegetables are tender.
2. Meanwhile, top spinach with mango, strawberries and blueberries.
3. In a blender, blend all ingredients for dressing.
4. Slice chicken into strips and place on top of salad. Top with grilled asparagus and onions
5. Pour dressing over salad and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage
|This salad was so good that there was even a mini thief trying to steal it when I was taking pictures!|
Like this recipe? Check out other similar recipes:
Asian Chopped Salad
Kale Caesar Pasta Salad
Avocado and Citrus Salad
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of National Mango Board. The opinions and text are all mine.