Lemon Glazed Blueberry Scones are simple to make and healthier than other versions with whole-wheat flour, fresh blueberries and a nutritious, flavorful glaze.
The first time that I made scones, I was terrified that they would not turn out. I am definitely not a baker and thought that making scones would be a lot more difficult than it really was. I was so wrong! Making scones is easy. My first batch of scones was Cranberry Scones with Coconut Vanilla Drizzle. I love lemon and blueberry together so that is how I decided on this flavor. Next up has to be banana bread scones!
It is pretty simple to make scones healthier than normal as well. I use 100% whole-wheat flour, less sugar and the topping is pretty nutritious instead of being just sugar and fat filled. Adalyn, Troy and I enjoyed these lemon glazed blueberry scones and I look forward to trying out all of the different flavors of scones in the future.
Lemon Glazed Blueberry Scones
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounce container of vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 6 ounce container vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Add in the yogurt, vanilla, butter, blueberries and egg and stir all ingredients together. Note: mixture will be crumbly.
4. Put dough on a floured surface and knead with your hands until dough comes together. Form into 2 6-8 inch circles and place on a baking sheet that is sprayed with nonstick spray.
5. Cut each circle into 6 wedges and lightly separate.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until scones are lightly brown.
7. Mix together all ingredients for lemon glaze. Once scones are out of the oven. Drizzle mixture over scones.
Powered by Recipage
This recipe uses Purely Inspired Organic Protein 100% plant-based nutritional shake which worked well in this recipe to give a boost of protein and nutrients. The protein mix is dairy, gluten and soy free. Flavors include French vanilla and decadent chocolate. Each serving has 20 grams of protein, 7 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar and is 130 calories. It contains an organic fruit and veggie blend with spinach, broccoli, flax and blueberry. It contains a blend of proteins including organic pea protein and organic brown rice protein. You can purchase it for $19.97 at Walmart.
Like this recipe? Check out other similar recipes:
Disclosure: This is a sponsored recipe by Purely Inspired. All opinions, recipe and text are my own.