I've seen recipes for apple fritter bread all around the internet and have wanted to make it for years. When we get doughnuts, apple fritters are always my top choice. They are huge, moist and filled with little apple chunks. I love them!
Obviously donuts are not healthy or something that you can eat everyday so I decided to make my own recipe using a similar recipe to the Almond Cashew Butter Banana Bread that I made since that turned out so well and was the best homemade bread that I had made. This bread is whole-wheat, uses fresh apples and even has a protein rich glaze on top which is made of Greek yogurt, protein and maple syrup. So good! The drizzle was inspired by my Cranberry Scones with Coconut Vanilla Drizzle that I made last year.
It is moist, flavorful and much healthier than a deep-fried doughnut, although those still find their place in my diet at times too! This bread is really easy to make. If you do not plan to use the whole loaf right away, only put the glaze on the slices that you are going to eat and store the glaze separately so the bread does not get soggy.
Maple Glazed Apple Fritter Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large apple, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a bread pan (or smaller baking dishes) with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, milk eggs and vanilla until smooth. Mix in the flour and baking soda. Stir in apples and cinnamon.
3. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
4. Remove from oven and let cool. Heat up the rest of the almond and cashew butter and drizzle over the top of bread.
Powered by Recipage
This recipe uses Purely Inspired Organic Protein 100% plant-based nutritional shake which worked well in this recipe to give a boost of protein and nutrients. The protein mix is dairy, gluten and soy free. Flavors include French vanilla and decadent chocolate. Each serving has 20 grams of protein, 7 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar and is 130 calories. It contains an organic fruit and veggie blend with spinach, broccoli, flax and blueberry. It contains a blend of proteins including organic pea protein and organic brown rice protein.Like this recipe? Check out other similar recipes:
Protein Apple Crisp
French Toast Kebabs with Chocolate Hazelnut Drizzle
Banana Split Overnight Oats
Grilled Apple Crisp Packets
Pina Colada Baked Oatmeal
Almond Cashew Butter Banana Bread
Cranberry Scones with Coconut Vanilla Drizzle
Check out The Nutritionist Reviews recipes Pinterest board for more healthy and fun recipe ideas!